Trujillo Peru North Mission

Trujillo Peru North Mission
Amos de la Viña

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Guest Blogger- Hermana Skirvin's Mom

The Skirvin family have a very unique situation...4 missionaries serving missions in 4 different countries...  One of their triplets, Hermana Skirvin serves in Misión Trujillo!  I thought it might be nice to hear from Sister Skirvin.


The 3 Hermana Skirvins at the MTC
Many people have asked what it is like having 4 missionaries out at the same time. This has been the first time I have been able to take time with my response. As many parents know, helping a missionary get ready for a mission can be a bit of a whirlwind. We had just sent my oldest, Garrett, to Toronto, Canada, when the announcement came that the ages had changed and girls could go at 19. Since Garrett is older by 6 months to my triplets, Monica, Marissa, and Mallory, the announcement made quite a stir. Within a month, all the girls asked their dad for a blessing, after reading their patriarchal blessings together. The answer? Serve a mission. The were called to Concepcion, 
Chile, Resistencia, Argentina, and Trujilo, Peru, respectively. As a family we have tried to teach the gospel to our children and teach them to live a good life. That no longer seems enough. Now, we need to prepare and keep up with our 4 missionaries. I must admit that I write one letter to all and then send each missionary their own additional letter. Every monday is devoted to reading and rereading their letters. Their personalities shine between the lines of each letter. When they are on line, my husband and I rush to the computer, just to send and extra note. Luckily, they are not all in the same time zone! 


 Brother, Elder Skirvin in Canada (on the right)
As they have been preparing for their mission, and are now serving, the brightest blessings we have received are within our family. We have 3 more teenagers, who's testimonies have become stronger. I know for myself, I am not  even a little shy to tell others I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My daughter Suzy is sharing the gospel with her non member friends, Eli is making good choices and has been a real inspiration to others, and Wes, as the youngest is growing up knowing that missionary work and sharing the gospel is just how we live. My husband has become closer to Heavenly Father and lives by the inspiration he receives for his work and his personal life. I know that all this is pretty normal for other families. But for our family, I feel like we have taken the next step, or my son might say we have "leveled up". We want to keep up with our missionaries, so we have made the temple a priority for our children and ourselves. We have made financial and sacrifices as well as other sacrifices, but that is just one of many steps to living a consecrated life, isn't it? 

Received their calls on the same day!
The joy in my heart, when I hear Garrett, Monica, Marissa, and Mallory share their testimony of the gospel with me, is beyond any sacrifice I could possibly make. They will struggle some days. They will feel like flying some days. And as each day passes I pray that the gospel of Jesus Christ will sink into their soul and glow. I know the Gospel is true. I am grateful to Heavenly Father for my children, for keeping the triplets and Suzy and Eli safe until we could find them. I just can't imagine my life without them. "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent." The words of the Savior in John 17, are a perfect example of parenthood. "And I have declared unto them they name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them."
A great day at the MTC!

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


Thanks Sister Skirvin, we love you, and we love your daughter...she is wonderful...